Sunday 8 January 2012

Onion & mint soup



Ingredients

   1 small potato, 4 white onions, 100g mint leaves, 1 pint vegetable stock, butter.
Serves: 2 Preparation: 30 minutes


I am not a fan of onion. It smells too strong, tastes too strong and I can't bear the lingering taste on my breath. I use onion as a base ingredient to flavour soups, stews, risottos but never use it as an "active" ingredient and forget eating onion raw - I would rather rub it into my eyes!
I discovered recently though that in the same way that parsley neutralises garlic, mint neutralises onion and this simple, comforting soup was the result of my experimentation. A summer classic I think you'll really love.


1) Peel and finely dice the onions and sweat them down with a tablespoon of butter.


2) Once they are completely soft, add the peeled, diced potato and stir through.


3) Pour over the vegetable stock, add the chopped mint and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.


4) Strain the onions and potatoes from the stock and puree in the blender. Pass through a sieve and back into the stock, then simmer on the hob for a further 5 minutes.


5) Finish with a splash of cream, then serve.

Everything Goes With Toast   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP