Saturday 28 January 2012

Pistachio, chilli & lime potato cakes


Ingredients


 leftover mashed potatoes, 100g pistachios, 2 limes, 1 tbsp chilli powder, white flour, olive oil. 

Serves: 2 preparation: 10 minutes


Of all the exotic and delicious foods that I cook on a daily basis for your viewing pleasure, if you were to ask me what my favourite food is, I would probably answer mashed potato. Whenever I was poorly as a little girl my mum used to make me mashed potatoes and let me lay on the sofa under a duvet watching Disney films with a bowl of pure comfort. Leftover mashed potato isn't a regular occurrence in this house but on the occasions that I've made far too much I love to make potato cakes with it - and these tangy, spicy little lumps of heaven are spectacular.


1) Grind the pistachio in a mortar and pestle (or pulse in the blender) - until you have a good mix of fine crumbs and chunks, then stir into the mashed potato along with the lime juice and the chilli.


2) Season well and form into patties, then dust with flour. Personally I like them as you see, quite thick and scone like but it's more traditional to have them about half the size...


3) Drizzle a little olive oil in a frying pan and drop in the potato. Using a fishslice or a wooden spatula, turn them frequently until the surface is crisp and serve!

Everything Goes With Toast   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP