Sunday 22 January 2012

Raisin bran loaf



Ingredients


     1 cup Bran Flakes, 1 cup sultanas,  
   1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 cup milk, 1 cup self raising flour.
Serves: 1 Preparation: 1 hour (plus overnight)


I have never posted a recipe on this blog that I did not create myself or adapt from a classic recipe so this is a first for me! My dear friend Paul, who climbs mountains on foot or by bike and other impressively healthy things is rather addicted to this scrumptious low-fat bread and gave me his recipe to try. Initially I was intrigued by the retro notion of creating bread from cereal - it seemed like WW2 rationing but I genuinely couldn't believe how delicious the bran and raisin combination was.


1) Add the bran flakes and sultanas into a bowl and cover with the milk. Leave to soak overnight, ensuring the bran flakes are submerged in liquid.


2) Stir the flour and sugar into the bowl until the mixture forms a rustic dough. 


3) Transfer into a cake or loaf tin and bake in the oven for 45 - 50 minutes at  180 degrees.


4) Allow to cool before serving and keep well wrapped to retain the moisture. Like making banana loaf or malt loaf I recommend putting it straight into the freezer from the oven for 5 minutes. This recipe also works well with a combination of dried fruits and mixed peel. I made a second batch with dried figs, ginger and cherries with a little cinnamon and it was spectacular!

Everything Goes With Toast   © 2008. Distributed by Blogger Templates. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP